Lara Herd » College & Career

College & Career

Apply Texas
What is Apply Texas?
  • An online college application for any Texas public university, as well as participating community and private colleges. You can apply for undergraduate, international and graduate admission. Copy a submitted application to another institution.






The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is a form that is completed annually by current and prospective college students in the United States to determine their eligibility for student financial aid.



What will I need to fill out FAFSA?
College and Career Searches

My Next Move -

On this helpful career assessment site, students have three options. You can search for careers by keyword (teacher, doctor, firefighter, etc.). You can choose an industry from a list (management, manufacturing, retail, etc.) and browse careers within a certain industry. Finally, you can take a career assessment quiz that determines their likes/dislikes, goals, and talents and offers suggestions for potential careers. These results can easily be printed and returned to a counselor for further consideration.


Texas Genuine -

This is a website for Career and Technical Education (CTE) students. It provides a map with all CTE college programs in Texas.  Students can also search for programs for specific careers, and careers for specific programs.


Dual Credit Transfer Hours

This website enables you to enter the college you have acquired dual credit hours and the university you would like to transfer. You will be able to see how your hours will transfer.


College For All Texans-

This website is a one stop source of information to help students and parents plan, apply, and pay for college in Texas.

Searching for the Right College
Find out about colleges: their programs, cost, admissions, results, and more

Online tours of colleges and scholarship search

Peterson's College Search Program

College and Financial Aid Search

  • Colleges and Universities: The four or five year college experience with the goal of earning a bachelor's degree.
  • Community College: An affordable two year option for students wanting to take their basic classes and transfer to a four year university later.
  • Technical School: Two year college that provides mostly employment preparation skills for careers. Ex: Welding, Electricians, etc.
Type of Degree What's Involved Where You Get It

Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) or

Bachelor of Science (B.S.)

The most common degrees awarded in the U.S. Degrees typically require a minimum of 120 hours. (5 courses for 15 hours/semester)

Public and Private colleges and universities.

Students can begin at a community college and transfer to a bachelor's degree program.

Associate Degree An associate degree is an undergraduate academic degree awarded upon completion of a course of study usually lasting 2 years of 60 hours. Community Colleges, Junior Colleges, and Technical Schools.
Certificate Programs A specialized form of training. Most certification programs take 1-2 years to complete. Usually cannot be awarded towards a degree program. Community College and Technical Schools.